What are Essential Oils?
Most of us have experienced the incredible power of essential oils without even realizing it. From the energizing aroma of a lemon peel to the calming influence of lavender, essential oils are all around us.
These concentrated, natural, aromatic liquids are extracted from shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, and seeds. Plants depend on essential oils to grow, evolve, and adapt to their surroundings. They also play an important role in defending against insects, disease, and harsh environmental conditions. Pure, unadulterated essential oils have many potential benefits and are used daily to enhance the lives of millions.
Is quality important with Essential Oils?
Every essential oil contains vital plant compounds, many of which have been studied for their positive effects. These compounds offer the greatest potential benefit in their natural, unadulterated state. Oils that are cut, diluted, blended synthetically, or otherwise altered lack beneficial components that give pure essential oils their health-supporting capabilities.
For more than 20 years, Young Living has set the standard for determining essential oil purity and potency. At the heart of our quality promise is Seed to Seal™, a proprietary process that focuses on five requirements for producing essential oils:
Our experts select plants that will yield the highest value based on scientific research, field studies, university partnerships, and on-site planting certification.
Hands-on experience at each of our six global farms ensures that strict quality standards are met wherever our plants are grown, including responsible weed and pest control, proper soil preparation and irrigation, and sustainable wild-craft harvesting techniques.
Our proprietary low-temperature, low-pressure steam distillation process allows the natural, bioactive plant compounds in every batch of essential oil to remain uncompromised, ensuring optimal oil quality every time.
Every essential oil is thoroughly tested, both in internal and third-party labs, to make sure the purity, potency, and overall quality is worthy of the Young Living label.
The Seed to Seal process is complete when we carefully inspect and seal each bottle of essential oil and encode every label with information that allows us to trace it back to its source.
How do I use Essential Oils?
You can use essential oils by smelling them directly (inhalation), applying them to the skin (topical application), or by taking orally (ingestion).
Inhaling certain essential oils heightens the senses and can have many positive effects. You can:
• Inhale the oil directly from the bottle.
• Diffuse your favorite essential oil with a diffuser.
• Pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of oil. Cover your head and the bowl in a tent-like fashion with a towel; then breathe deeply and slowly.
Many essential oils are safe to use directly on the skin, but dilution with a carrier oil is sometimes necessary.
• Place the appropriate number of drops in the palm of your hand or directly on the desired area.
• Massage the oil in a circular motion onto the skin. Repeat as desired.
Caution: Always read the label for instructions before applying. Essential oils are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, apply any carrier oil (coconut oil, V6 oil, or olive oil).
Whether taken directly, by capsule, or used in cooking, optimum benefits can be achieved by ingesting oils.
• Drop the appropriate amount of essential oil directly in your mouth, place on the roof of your mouth, or by spoon with carrier oil or honey.
• Fill vegetable capsules according to directions on oil bottle or use as needed.
• Their rich, bright aromas can add a delicious kick of flavor to your favorite recipes. Moderate use as flavoring (a few drops per person) is not only safe but delicious!.
Caution: Not all oils are safe for ingestion, please be sure to read the label and refer to your reference guide.